A VIRTUAL ART OF HEALING PROJECT
Sponsored in part by AdventHealth, our free Art of Healing outreach is offered to anyone in a medical situation, caregiver, healthcare worker, survivor or person in need of reflective time.
Create a vessel to hold your beliefs, hopes, desires, and dreams in this artful, virtual workshop.
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
~ Mahatma Gandhi
- Small box
- Paint and paintbrush
- Embellishments – rhinestones, buttons, glitter, etc.
- Decorative scrapbook paper – enough to make six scrolls, the depth of your box (Measure from the floor of the box to the top of the inside inside rim to see how tall your scrolls should be. They can be any length. My scrolls are 1.5” tall x 12” long.)
- Ribbon, twine, or yarn - to seal the scrolls
- Colorful gel pens, markers, pencils – anything you can write with
- Books to looks for quotes or verses
- Magazines to cut out images or words
- List of values (PDF)
A guided creative exercise will lead you through the process of unearthing your core values and connecting with what is most important to you.
Belief Box Video Tutorial
- STEP 1: Paint the outside and inside of the box, and decorate it with embellishments.
- STEP 2: While the box dries:
• Read through the list of values, and circle twelve that stand out to you
• Read through the twelve values you circled and highlight six that you connect with most.
- STEP 3: Use a ruler to measure out your scrolls - Make 6 strips of paper that are 1.5” x 12” (Adjust size for the depth of your box).
- STEP 4: Use each scroll to write one of the six values you highlighted. You may want to look for a quote or verse that represents that virtue, or just write the word. You can also decorate the scrolls with doodles, drawings, or images you gather from a magazine. Don’t make your collage too thick though, or you’ll have trouble rolling up the scroll.
- STEP 5: Roll each of the scrolls up and tie with a ribbon or twine. Store them inside your Belief Box, but bring them out to read from time to time.